[Abcde-users] "CD backups" produced with "abcde -1 -o flac -a default, cue" sometimes miss the first few frames

Nicolas Boullis nboullis at debian.org
Wed Oct 23 14:29:48 BST 2013

On Mon, Sep 30, 2013 at 09:58:50PM -0500, Charles Steinkuehler wrote:
> On 9/29/2013 8:43 AM, Nicolas Boullis wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Sorry for asking, but I'd really love to see this problem fixed. Is
> > there anything I should do? Should I create an issue on Google code?
>
> What problems are you seeing?  I wrote what I believe is the basis for
> the existing one-track ripping to flac with a cue file feature.  It
> works fine for me, but I haven't merged with the upstream abcde in a
> while (ok, a *LONG* while) so there could definitely be something broken.
>
> Do you have particular CDs that cause issues?  IIRC, the main key to
> getting this to work correctly was to not pass a track number to the
> cdrecord, but use sectors or a "grab everything" short-hand when ripping
> one track.  If you use track numbers, the disk start and end can be
> messed with by the table of contents, and you won't get the 'hidden'
> audio on certain CDs.

I have issues with most (but not all) discs I tried.

The simplest way to reproduce the problem is to encode a whole disc in
flac format with embedded cuesheet, and then use this "CD backup" as a
source to re-encode it in a single flac file with embedded cuesheet.
The second backup will fail.

Another way to experience the problem is by using musicbrainz as the
CDDBMETHOD. The lookup will succeed with the original CD but will fail
with the "CD backup" as source.

Here is the cuesheet for a disc I experience the problem with (cuesheet
embedded in the flac file, I don't have the original CD with me).

As I understand it, those problems are because the first 33 frames of
the disc (before the beginning of the first track) were not ripped.

Looking at the source code in
  http://code.google.com/p/abcde/source/browse/trunk/abcde
(lines 2939 to 2959), nothing is done to rip the disc before the
beginning of the first track. The patch I sent solved this for me with
cdparanoia and flac inputs.

Cheers,

--
Nicolas Boullis