[Abcde-users] "CD backups" produced with "abcde -1 -o flac -a default, cue" sometimes miss the first few frames

Nicolas Boullis nboullis at debian.org
Sun Aug 11 16:16:01 BST 2013

Hi,

I recently decided to backup some discs I own, and then convert them
later to ogg/vorbis and mp3 files (I wish my mobile phone could play
ogg/vorbis).

Unfortunately, on most of the discs I backed up, the first track has a
zeroth subtrack, with only a few frames (32 frames on most), that is not
backed up by "abcde -1 -o flac -a default,cue". But the cuesheet is not
modified to reflect this, so it is wrong.

Then:
 - the musicbrainz discid is changed because the total length is
   silghtly smaller than the original one, so the musicbrainz lookup
   fails;
 - the backup can't be backed up again with "abcde -1 -o flac -a
   default,cue /path/to/backup.flac" (might be useful if the initial
   backup was flac-compressed with --fast);
 - when I use the backup to encode the tracks, one can hear the
   begining of the next track at the end of each track.

For what it's worth, here is a quick and dirty patch I wrote for
Debian's abcde 2.5.3-1, given that the -1 option can only be used when
no track is specified. I fixed the behaviour of both cdparanoia and flac
sources, but not cdda2wav/icedax since I don't have these tools
installed.

I'll be happy to improve my patch, if asked.

Cheers,

--
Nicolas Boullis