[Abcde-users] Running abcde on recent Mac OS X versions

Steve McIntyre steve at einval.com
Thu Sep 1 20:52:04 BST 2016

On Fri, Aug 26, 2016 at 04:43:53PM -0400, Gabriel Rosenkoetter wrote:
>On 22 Aug, 2016, at 12:49EDT, Steve McIntyre <steve at einval.com> wrote:
>> On Fri, Aug 19, 2016 at 12:30:18PM -0400, Gabriel Rosenkoetter wrote:
>>> 2. It seems like the WebService::MusicBrainz Perl module that
>>> abcde-musicbrainz-tool depends upon has been kind of abandoned for
>>> started on this?
>> Hmmmm. I'm the person who wrote abcde-musicbrainz-tool initially, and
>> I'm still using it regularly. I've not really been paying too much
>> attention to the support status of the underlying module, though. It's
>> plausible to rewrite the code there quite easily if needed. Patches
>> definitely welcome if you're interested!
>
>Not needed! Bob Faist responded to my email and updated both his git
>repo and CPAN to WS::MB 0.94, under which those tests that were
>failing reliably now succeed.
>
>(I didn’t dig too deeply into the diffs, but it looks like the tests
>were failing because the MB data for the specific “Releases” he was
>checking against had been altered some time in the past 6 years. I
>guess maybe if I were MB, I’d have some immutable records in my DB
>that were intended to be used for people to validate their
>applications’ functionality against the MB API but, hey, whatever.)

Heh. :-)

>> Ah, cool. What I'd like to do is include a (some?) good exmaple
>> abcde.conf examples directly in the package, and I have a Debian bug
>> open for exactly that. If we can do similarly useful stuff for OS X
>> too, then great!
>
>Sure!
>
>It may make sense for us to collaborate off the list for that, but
>here’s the short version of things I have pinned in abcde.conf that
>are Mac OS X-related, rather than personal preference (I think I see
>the right places make these things the OS-dependent defaults, and
>I’ll send you patches through the normal channels):

OK, cool.

>I played around with triggering Mac OS X’s “Quick Look” from the
>command line (what you get on a Mac if you tap “space” on, say, an
>image file) and you *can* do that, through `qlmanage -p`, but that
>wasn’t ever really intended as an end-user tool, it spits a bunch of
>garbage to STDERR, and if you do something horrible like feed it a
>0-byte file it’ll crash out silently and hang around in the
>background indefinitely. So… maybe don’t do that. The one up side is
>that you can just hit “escape” and close the pop-up, without leaving
>another GUI app running, and without having to context-switch back to
>the terminal where you’re running abcde but… eh. Doesn’t really seem
>worth it to me, especially not as a default.

Right, OK.

>> Please feel free to post this kind of stuff in the wiki:
>>
>>  https://abcde.einval.com/wiki/
>>
>> We've not got much content there yet, so help is great!
>
>Sure, will do. I’m going to maybe go through the motions of making at
>least the MacPorts version of abcde happier by default before writing
>a bunch of stuff up, since I’d just go change it afterwards. I could
>certainly toss those couple of abcde.conf items there, though.
>
>Unless I’m totally ignorant of how MoinMoin works, I think you’ve
>just got the front page there right now. Do you have any theoretical
>organization structure in mind for OS-specific tips?

I'm thinking a top-level per-OS page might be a good plan, with
sub-pages off those, i.e.:

 MacOS
 MacOS/ExampleConfig1
 Linux
 Linux/ExampleConfig2

etc.

--
Steve McIntyre, Cambridge, UK.                                steve at einval.com
< liw> everything I know about UK hotels I learned from "Fawlty Towers"