[Abcde-users] Including DISCNUMBER into the filename

Sam Hawkens sam.hawkens at freenet.de
Wed Dec 6 09:53:40 GMT 2017

Ideally abcde should retrieve that sort of information from the
database. But...

freedb
normally contains the disc number as part of the album name (e.g.
"Greatest Hits (CD 1)". The total number of discs is not available at
all in this case.
With the album name as part of the path you would automatically end up
with separate folders for each CD.

musicbrainz
is much smarter and provides tags "discnumber" and "totaldiscs"(e.g.
"Greatest Hits", discnumber=1, totaldisc=3). Great so far. But the
musicbrainz tool that comes with abcde does not fetch these tags, so
abcde does not know about them. With musicbrainz as CDDBMETHOD you
really end up with all tracks from a multidisc release in the same
folder which is not really what I want.

Personally I prefer musicbrainz over freedb because the information
seems more reliable. And it works much better for getting album art, too.

Anybody volunteering to patch the musicbrainz tool is highly welcome :-)

Sam