[Abcde-users] Problem with 'abcde -d disc.flac'

Bjørn Forsman bjorn.forsman at gmail.com
Tue Nov 27 08:13:35 GMT 2018

Hi Charles,

On Tue, 27 Nov 2018 at 00:19, Charles Steinkuehler
<charles at steinkuehler.net> wrote:
> I fixed all this ages ago (patches sent to the Debian BTS) and for a
> while I think the changes were added by Jesus Climent in at least one
> of the branches of abcde but then got changed/removed when some other
> code was merged in.

whipper (other ripper program) didn't work for me (and it doesn't
support whole-disk-image ripping), so I looked around some more on
abcde and actually found your issue on the Debian BTS. I had a half
written email about it but couldn't find the time to complete it. I'm
glad you responded!

> 1) I added a "whole disk" ripper setting, which rips the pre/post-gap
> data as well as the track data and stores it all in the flac file.  If
> you just rip all the tracks, you don't actually get all the data on
> the CD.
>
> 2) mkcue was replaced by an internal shell script function that would
> properly deal with pre/post gaps.  I think some of the other cue sheet
> handling needed minor tweaks as well.

Yes, I see the "abcde.mkcue" function. It's still there in the latest
code. But it doesn't seem that was made the default "mkcue"
implementation. And I'm having trouble invoking it right. I tried
adding this to ~/.abcde.conf

  MKCUE=abcde.mkcue
  MKCUEOPTS=--wholedisk

(That's why I didn't complete the other email, I planned to debug this
some more first.)

> If anyone is interested, I can dredge up my local changes and see
> about merging into the latest abcde.  Here's the Debian BTS issue I
> filed about this in 2006:

Yes, I would definitely be interested. (I have not found a way to
non-lossy backup my CDs yet.)

- Bjørn