[Abcde-users] difference in wav files size, CD-TEXT not found

Rich Painter painterengr at gmail.com
Sat Sep 8 07:18:49 BST 2018

Just installed abcde ver 2.5.4 on Ubuntu 14.04 64bit. Brand new abcde list
user....

My desire is to read audio CDs, save the .wav files, convert to and save
.mp3 files.

Problem 1:
I can put in a CD and run abcde configured to output mp3 and wav.
The program does not find anything at cddb and requests me to edit the
track titles, etc.

If I use the cdtext program from libcdio-release-2.0.0 it reports CD-TEXT
for the album and track titles.

Why doesnt abcde find this CD-TEXT track data?

How can I get abcde to find this on the CD (without modifying the code)?

Problem 2:

If I insert this CD and then use the Ubuntu GUI file manager on the actual
CD to see the trackXX.wav files I can copy them to my file system.
When the abcde (output mode is "mp3,wav") runs it does save the .wav files
in addition to creating mp3 files.

The problem is that the .wav file left by abcde is SMALLER than the Ubuntu
copied .wav file by approx 50 to 105 bytes.

I would expect these to be exactly the same size.

What is causing this? Am I doing something wrong? Is there a fix?

Question:
wav files can have embedded meta data. Does abcde look for and use this
embedded data?

thanks,
oldunixguy