[Abcde-users] musicbrainz error

Christian Weiske cweiske at cweiske.de
Fri May 10 20:01:12 BST 2019

Hello Brett,

> When I run abcde I am getting the following error:
>
> Obtaining Musicbrainz results...
> URL
> (http://musicbrainz.org/ws/1/release/?type=xml&discid=nuXSuLFVrGDoTSemUvLkEQ.feGA-)
> Request Failed - Code: 410 Error: Gone
>
> I searched in the abcde-user mail list but I did not find anyone else
> reporting this problem.  Is it an easy fix?

I have the same problem on Ubuntu 18.04.

Reason for this is that the perl musicbrainz library
WebService::MusicBrainz used on Ubuntu 18.04 is 0.9.3-1, which uses v1
of the API.

MusicBrainz Web Service version 1 has been shut down:
https://blog.metabrainz.org/2018/02/01/web-service-ver-1-0-ws-1-will-be-removed-in-6-months/

The shutdown was scheduled for 2018-08, but had been shut down end of
2018 (https://tickets.metabrainz.org/browse/MBS-9619)

So now we have an old library that tries to use the non-existent web
service.
Version 1.0.0 of the lib supports API v2:
https://metacpan.org/changes/distribution/WebService-MusicBrainz#L131

-----

Simply updating the library via cpan does not work, because the abcde
version 2.8.1 shipped in Ubuntu 18.04 does not support the library from
1.0.0. You will get an error:

> Can't locate WebService/MusicBrainz/Release.pm

So you have to install a new abcde from sources, and upgrade the
musicbrainz lib manually via cpan:

--
Regards/Mit freundlichen Grüßen
Christian Weiske

-=≡ Geeking around in the name of science since 1982 ≡=-