[Abcde-users] abcde using LAME options different from LAMEOPTS

Dr. David Bruce Albert Jr. doctordruidphd at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 14 21:54:27 BST 2020

 OK, after some experiments I think the problem may be with LAME. I ripped some WAV files, then tried encoding with LAME using various options. Evidently this version of LAME (LAME 64bits version 3.100, Ubuntu linux) does not like the "--vbr-new" option, since it assumes it by default. Instead of listing specific options, I tried just "--preset extreme", and it worked as expected. I put that in .abcde.conf and now abcde is doing what I would have expected it to do.

Thanks for your reply.

    On Tuesday, July 14, 2020, 8:56:16 AM PDT, Steve McIntyre <steve at einval.com> wrote:

 Hi Bruce!

On Mon, Jul 13, 2020 at 02:39:34PM -0700, Bruce Albert wrote:

>This is abcde v. 2.9.3 running on ubuntu linux 20.04.
>
>the LAMEOPTS line in .abcde,conf says:
>
>LAMEOPTS='-m j -V 0 -q 0 --vbr-new'
>
>But what I see in mediainfo run on a file ripped with it is:
>
>-m j -V 0 -q 0 -lowpass 22.1 --vbr-mt -b 32
>
>That isn't what I asked for.  Ripping the same file with RipperX produces:
>
>-m j -V 0 -q 0 -lowpass 22.1 --vbr-new
>
>which is what I wanted.
>
>And yes, the spectrograms on the files are slightly different.
>
>This is NOT a question about whether it matters or why; what I want to know is why abcde isn't doing
>what I ask for, and is there some option I have failed to set so that it will use the options I specify?

Sorry, but I'm genuinely not sure where you're getting those options
from - abcde does not have *any* code to change LAMEOPTS from what you
set, and there is no mention of "vbr" anywhere in the code that I can
see. If you run with debug enabled, check the log and look for the
lame command line maybe?

--
Steve McIntyre, Cambridge, UK.                                steve at einval.com
"... the premise [is] that privacy is about hiding a wrong. It's not.