[Abcde-users] freedb has shutdown

Steve McIntyre steve at einval.com
Mon Jun 15 13:47:44 BST 2020

On Mon, Jun 15, 2020 at 06:29:58AM -0600, Alan W. Kerr wrote:
>For those that do not know:
>
>As of March 31, 2020, freedb (freedb.freedb.org) has shutdown.
>
>Most abcde code had already switched to musicbrainz as the default database.
>I tested what happens if "cddb" is chosen. It will always give you a "blank
>template".  Luckily, it seems to "not crash".

:-(

I'd seen mixed messages from the freedb.org site last time I looked,
with one part of the front page saying "we're shutting down" but
another saying "we've been saved". I guess it's finally gone away
then. Bah! It seemed to be working just a few days ago; when I ripped
a new CD I got results from both freedb and musicbrainz.

--
Steve McIntyre, Cambridge, UK.                                steve at einval.com
"When C++ is your hammer, everything looks like a thumb." -- Steven M. Haflich