[Abcde-users] does musicbrainz work in 2.9.3 ???

Alan W. Kerr awkerr at aoc.nrao.edu
Tue Jun 23 00:21:02 BST 2020

Nope, using Ubuntu Studio 18.04LTS and is fully up-to-date.
It's *technically* still the most recent LTS... at least until 20.04
hits the 20.04.1 point in July...

Anyway... Synaptic says, for 18.04, the most recent version of
libwebservice-musicbrainz-perl is 0.93-1.1... which is what I have.

If a program needs a "more recent" version of a file, then the three
most common ways to "resolve" this are:
1) the needed file is included with, and installed by, the *.tar.gz file
(often with a slight "renaming" to keep the version "different").
2) the URL for a ppa will be noted in the README file (not likely in
this situation).
3) a backport will be provided. *This* is what I expected since
musicbrainz has gone to the 1.0.x version and has clearly stated that it
is *not* backwards-compatible with any previous version.  ...so a
backport of 1.0.x to previous versions (especially 18.04LTS) would make
the most sense.

and a couple of version questions...
line 19 (where the error occurs) in abcde-musicbrainz-tool says:
use WebService::MusicBrainz 1.0.4;

Will 1.0.5 work or will that just issue a *different* "version mismatch"
error?
Should I just use 1.0.4 for now?  I am planning on upgrading from 18.04
to 20.04.1 in late July or early August (can I assume that abcde "just
works" in 20.04?)

...and thanks for all the help with this... I've never used musicbrainz.
  I've been using cddb (and then freedb) for lookups.  ...*but* with
freedb shutting-down, I've been forced to use musicbrainz so I'm running
into problems that I've never "triggered" before within abcde (which
I've been using since, I think, version 2.4)

Alan W. Kerr          awkerr at aoc.nrao.edu          Whee!(tm)