[Abcde-users] comparing many cddb entries for a disc

Dave Laub abcde at laubster.33mail.com
Thu Mar 2 05:49:00 GMT 2023

Louis' recent patch brought something to mind. I recently ripped the
album "Closer" by Joy Division, & was prompted by abcde to pick from 10
musicbrainz listings (!). It turned out the differences were minor (the
release year a.k.a. DYEAR, and the comment indicating Disc length). But
I know for some other releases I've ripped, I've encountered more
significant differences & definitely had a preference.

That leads me to ask: when many releases are returned for a disc, how do
folks decide which to pick? Do you use your terminal window's scrollbar
to repeatedly scroll up/down through the long output, trying to eyeball
the best one? Do you rerun abcde and tee off the output to a file which
you then pop around in with your favorite text editor, trying to
determine the best entry? Something else?

What I've done lately is start another terminal, cd into abcde's working
directory, and then isolate the best one with this:

    best=./cddbread.1
    for i in $(find . -maxdepth 1 -name 'cddbread.*' | sort -t. -k3,3n); do
         [ "$best" = "$i" ] && continue
         printf "Comparing $best to $i ...\n"
         diff $best $i
         printf "a or b? [abq] "
         read REPLY
         [ 'q' = "$REPLY" ] && break
         [ 'b' = "$REPLY" ] && best=$i
    done
    echo best is "$best"

Does anyone see value in something like that? If so I'll write a patch &
submit it.