SBAT feedback

Steve McIntyre steve at einval.com
Thu Mar 4 16:49:23 GMT 2021

On Thu, Mar 04, 2021 at 11:20:14AM -0500, Paul Moore wrote:
>On Thu, Mar 4, 2021 at 10:31 AM Steve McIntyre <steve at einval.com> wrote:
>
>> AFAIK almost all of the expected signing targets now have SBAT support
>> available. We're waiting on some fixes for shim, then a 15.3 release
>> is due any time now. If you're hoping to get something reviewed and
>> signed, I'd strongly recommend you move on to that when it's ready.
>
>Thanks for the clarification.  I've got a few follow-up questions:
>
>* I see a 15.3 shim branch now, is that ready for us to use as a base,
>or is there still work pending?

AFAICS there are fixes for a few things coming yet, at least:

1. Signed/unsigned issues around the defintions of CHAR8 in gnu-efi

2. A problem with varargs in the shim code (including a lump of
   openssl, of course). EFI/PE calling conventions are quite
   different, and there are issues.

3. Header problems - various bits of code are getting the wrong
   definitions for things like strcmp and not working well.

Peter is doing most of the work here, and I know he'd appreciate more
help.

>* Is there any guidance on the SBAT metadata, for example
>component/vendor names?  I'm happy to just pick values that make sense
>for our shim build, but I'm guessing the powers that be are going to
>want to setup a registry somewhere, no?

What we've done so far is use the upstream names for projects, and use
the UEFI vendor name for vendors, much as in the "Example sbat
sections" piece in SBAT.md. I know it's not *very* tightly specified,
but I hope that's clear enough for most users. Does that help?

>* What about signed vendor key PE files, is that going to be a
>requirement for new shim review/signing submissions based on 15.3?

Not yet, no. That'll come in a future release.

>I apologize for all the questions, but with most of the decisions and
>development happening in private, it is very hard for most of us to
>figure out what is going on and what is expected of reviews starting
>now (or soon).

Nod. :-(

I've not been on top of most of the discussion myself, despite driving
a lot of Debian's SB stuff. I really want to see development
discussion opened up much more, and I'm trying to encourage people to
do that. We had a lot private discussion around the recent GRUB bugs
that was embargoed, but shim and SBAT discussion did not need to be
kept under wraps with that.

I think we do have agreement that shim reviews should be done more in
public, at least.

--
Steve McIntyre, Cambridge, UK.                                steve at einval.com
Can't keep my eyes from the circling sky,