[Abcde-users] Newbie asking for help - Patching abcde

John Lane abcde at jelmail.com
Tue Dec 31 19:57:11 GMT 2013

On 28/09/13 19:44, Edward Petrie-Smith wrote:
> All,
>
> I have just installed version 2.5.4 from source on my Ubuntu platform.
>
> I remember coming across a patch that included the ability to embed
> album art into the mp3 being created by abcde, and managed to find it
> available from http://code.google.com/p/abcde/issues/detail?id=33.
>
> I've used patch in the past to patch binaries etc.
> (http://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/appy-patch-file-using-patch-command/)
> <http://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/appy-patch-file-using-patch-command/%29>
> but struggling with how I go about installing the patch here.
>
> Could somebody please help me here by explaining what I need to patch
> abcde here? Can I just apply the patch in isolation, or do I need to
> install patches 0001-0004 before I can apply this patch.
>
> Edward.

Hi Edward, those are my patches. Try this:

First download the version of the code that the patches were applied
against.  I quickly tested patching the current head but the patches
don't apply cleanly to it.

$svn co http://abcde.googlecode.com/svn/tags/2.5.4 abcde-254

Next, download the patches

$ curl -o 0001-Add-support-for-Album-Artist.patch
"http://abcde.googlecode.com/issues/attachment?aid=160003000&name=0001-Add-support-for-Album-Artist.patch&token=zk_B_DshhFRXk64h5ycs7ISphs4%3A1388518179383"

$ curl -o 0002-Allow-user-to-select-genre.patch
"http://abcde.googlecode.com/issues/attachment?aid=850001000&name=0002-Allow-user-to-select-genre.patch&token=IHmqPf6J1ExHA4zSEL3HCTmhtto%3A1388518852952"

$ curl -o 0003-Use-addstatus-checkstatus-around-do_albumartist.patch
"http://abcde.googlecode.com/issues/attachment?aid=160003001&name=0003-Use-addstatus-checkstatus-around-do_albumartist.patch&token=xHAAQTmlQff1K-c1Oc5Vq2HOIAg%3A1388518179383"

$ curl -o 0004-Add-support-for-album-art-download-and-embed.patch
"http://abcde.googlecode.com/issues/attachment?aid=330012000&name=0004-Add-support-for-album-art-download-and-embed.patch&token=eDTqUYAum0GUv2hB9anz38K6fiI%3A1388518568592"

$ curl -o 0005-Embed-album-art-in-Flac-and-Ogg.patch
"http://abcde.googlecode.com/issues/attachment?aid=330015000&name=0005-Embed-album-art-in-Flac-and-Ogg.patch&token=HnUqsNVRK6tHSu-dr5JsoG8uLoM%3A1388518568593"

those are the patches downloaded from ABCDE issues 16, 33 and 85. Next,
apply them

$ cd abcde-254
$ patch < ../0001-Add-support-for-Album-Artist.patch
$ patch < ../0002-Allow-user-to-select-genre.patch
$ patch < ../0003-Use-addstatus-checkstatus-around-do_albumartist.patch
$ patch < ../0004-Add-support-for-album-art-download-and-embed.patch
$  patch < ../0005-Embed-album-art-in-Flac-and-Ogg.patch

That should give you a patched abcde and abcde.conf. It's almost a year
since I looked at this but, if I recall correctly, the patches are
additive so you will need to apply them all in sequence.

If you prefer, you can download from my Git repository,
https://github.com/johnlane/abcde, this repo is already patched so just
clone that and you'll be good to go. In  case you aren't a git user:

$ git clone https://github.com/johnlane/abcde.git

Hope that's of some assistance.

PS. I'm curious... will those patches ever make it into the "official"
version?

Happy new year!

John