[Abcde-users] Preferred Extract Options or Examples

Roger rogerx.oss at gmail.com
Wed May 1 02:22:28 BST 2013

Would be nice to see some good default options to some of the variables, to
provide newcomers some guidance or others with an idea of preferred options or
possibilities.

Currently, they're mostly blank.

ie.

#CDPARANOIAOPTS=""
#CDDA2WAVOPTS=""

It would seem the default no options for cdparanoia is probably the best, as it
was in the past, but am wondering if "--abort-on-skip" might be of use to warn
users of a possible problem.  And whether or not it would desirabley abort the
abcde session entirely.  This would then cause the user to take extra care when
extracting tracks from the particular media.

The drive offset is also desirable.
See CD Drive Sample Offsets - AccurateRip
http://www.accuraterip.com/driveoffsets.htm

Might also suggest something like this, if there's enough insterest by a
majority here:

---Snip---
# CDParanoia allows specifying the drive offset, on a per drive basis.
# See http://www.accuraterip.com/driveoffsets.htm
#CDPARANOIAOPTS="--abort-on-skip --sample-offset 16"
---Snip---

I cannot easily test the "--abort-on-skip" method, as even my 20+ year old
CDRoms appear in good condition.

I know, "cdda2wav -max" might be preferred as it sets sets maximum quality.
---Snip---
#CDDA2WAVOPTS="-max"
---Snip---

I was going to use cdda2wav -max, until I found cdparanoia has --sample-offset.
cdda2wav also has -offset, but requires the argument to be in 1/75 seconds,
which is difficult to mathematically compute?  I have tested offset with
cdparanoia and EAC, and the WAV files and a diff comparison showed them
identical.  Both, with and without specifying my drive's specified offset.

--
Roger
http://rogerx.freeshell.org/