[Abcde-users] Preferred Extract Options or Examples

Roger rogerx.oss at gmail.com
Wed May 1 03:18:42 BST 2013

>---Snip---
># CDParanoia allows specifying the drive offset, on a per drive basis.
># See http://www.accuraterip.com/driveoffsets.htm
>#CDPARANOIAOPTS="--abort-on-skip --sample-offset 16"
>---Snip---
>
>I cannot easily test the "--abort-on-skip" method, as even my 20+ year old
>CDRoms appear in good condition.

I just happened to run into an error on one of my old CDRom's, and the
"--abort-on-skip" worked like a charm.  abcde exited on track read error.

Although there were no BOLD LETTER prompts indicating an error, I was able to
read the lower case error condition and retry abcde until those last two tracks
were extracted successfully.  Thankfully, abcde recognized the previous ten
tracks were already extracted, on each retry.

Without this, cdparanoia would have gracefully continued even though there was
a read error?  On the third extract attempt, the extract was successful.

As such, the cdparanoia "--abort-on-skip" option seems extremely desirable.

--
Roger
http://rogerx.freeshell.org/