[Abcde-users] Possible to include track number in cdparanoia opts?

Roger rogerx.oss at gmail.com
Wed May 1 19:41:45 BST 2013

> On Wed, May 01, 2013 at 08:25:03AM -0400, Mike Poirier wrote:
>   Hi,
>   I'm interested in the --log-summary option on cdparanoia. �If I rip an
>   entire CD, it seems to clobber each track successively so I only get a log
>   file for the last track.
>   Is there a way to embed the track number in the file name? Is the track
>   number created as an environment variable in the rip process?
>   I tried:
>   '--log-summary cdparanoia-${TRACKNUM}.log'�
>   with both single and double quotes but that didn't seem to work. �
>   Thanks for any help on this...
>   Mike

If I'm not mistaken, the cdparanoia log file is created upon each execution of
cdparanoia.  So if you have a CD containing multiple tracks, the cdparanoia log
file will be naturally overwritten as cdparanoia is called for each track found
on the media by abcde. (ie. ps -ax |grep cdparanoia)

As such, cdparanoia log filename option needs to be given another alternate
filename with likely an incrementing suffix.

Really easy to do, define a log filename for cdparanoia suffixed with an
incrementing number. (ie.  let COUNTER=$COUNTER+1;
CDPARANOIALOGFILENAME=$CDPARANOIALOGFILENAME-$COUNTER.log)

Personally, I do not see the need for this if you use --abort-on-skip.  Even if
you use an unattended abcde extract session.

Sound like you're wanting to perform an unattended batch session and later grep
the cdparanoia logs for errors.  Unless you have an automatic CD changer loaded
with a 100+ CD's, and want to later on in the day grep a daily log file. ;-)

I'm in the process of extracting my whole collection again to WAV and Vorbis.
If I saw a benefit, I would submit the scripting/code. ;-)

--
Roger
http://rogerx.freeshell.org/