[Abcde-users] Newbie asking for help - Patching abcde [WARNING - NOT VIRUS SCANNED]

Roger rogerx.oss at gmail.com
Tue Oct 1 03:48:44 BST 2013

> On Mon, Sep 30, 2013 at 09:42:09PM +0100, Edward Petrie-Smith wrote:
>   Hi Roger,
>
>   Thanks for your help, but when I run the command I get the following
>   error:
>
>   user at localhost:~/Downloads$ cd /usr/bin/ && patch --dry-run <
>   ~/Downloads/0005-Embed-album-art-in-Flac-and-Ogg.patch
>   patching file abcde
>   Hunk #1 FAILED at 984.
>   Hunk #2 succeeded at 888 (offset -173 lines).
>   Hunk #3 succeeded at 919 (offset -173 lines).
>   Hunk #4 succeeded at 946 (offset -173 lines).
>   Hunk #5 FAILED at 3251.
>   2 out of 5 hunks FAILED -- saving rejects to file abcde.rej

OK.  This is the fun part.  The Hunks #2-#4 are good and were applied, however
Hunks #1 and #5 failed.  You'll need to open the patch within your text editor
(ie. VIM) and compare the Hunks that failed with what is at those lines within
the /usr/bin/abcde file.

Some reason why some hunks (of the patch) fail, the before and after text has
changed slightly.  The location has been moved farther than the offset, etc...

Most times it's trivial, other times with larger C patches is much more
difficult.  Since this is a Bash script, should be trivial to easy to figure
out this.

Once you figure it out, feel free to re-diff the patch.

# cp /usr/bin/abcde /usr/bin/abcde.orig

# patch < blah.patch (ie. apply your patch, or manually apply the patch using
your text editor! ;-)

# diff -urN abcde.orig abcde > abcde-feature.patch  ('-r' recursion isn't
necessary, and I just do it out of habit.)

Resubmit your patch as applicable.

Also recognize, "/usr/bin/abcde.orig" will now be outside of your package
manager's maintenance, so be sure to delete it manually afterwards or whatever.

--
Roger
http://rogerx.freeshell.org/