[Abcde-users] Exact CD copy stored in multiple FLAC files

Charles Steinkuehler charles at steinkuehler.net
Thu Sep 17 22:26:09 BST 2015

On 9/17/2015 4:13 PM, Wolfgang Jeltsch wrote:

>   • Is there a better way to achieve what I want (for example, first
>     generating a single FLAC file with a cue sheet and then turning this
>     file into a collection of files)?

I highly recommend this option.  It's _really_ hard to get exactly the
original source CD contents once you've chopped it up into individual
files.

I rip from CD to a single FLAC file with a cue sheet, then rip from
the FLAC file to individual track files.  I patched abcde to get this
all working well, and I think some (most?) of these mods are in the
current version (I haven't upgrade in a _long_ time).  As a bonus,
once you have a single FLAC file for the whole CD, you can rip from
that to whatever format-de-jour is popular.  I've used this to re-rip
my entire CD collection to various flavors of mp3 and ogg over the
years.  All it takes is a few days of unattended CPU number crunching
and a bunch of free HDD space.  :)

--
Charles Steinkuehler
charles at steinkuehler.net