[Abcde-users] Exact CD copy stored in multiple FLAC files

Charles Steinkuehler charles at steinkuehler.net
Fri Sep 18 00:47:58 BST 2015

On 9/17/2015 6:12 PM, Wolfgang Jeltsch wrote:

> Is a CD read in one go when using the -1 option and generating a single
> FLAC file with a cue sheet?

Yes.

> And are your patches to abcde necessary to turn such a single FLAC file
> with a cue sheet into separate files? What exactly are your patches
> about? I would like to continue using the abcde version that comes with
> my Linux distribution (which is 2.5.4).

I had several changes I made to abcde in the Debian BTS, and it was a
_long_ time ago (maybe around Sarge time-frame?).

IIRC, the big changes were related to properly handling some corner
cases on disks with lead-in or lead-out, so the -1 would _really_ rip
the whole disk (including 'hidden' tracks) and not just the standard
TOC track list.  I believe these changes have long since been
integrated into abcde.

IIRC, the only changes I made that didn't get pulled upstream were
some scripts to deal with handling cue sheets via shell scripts to
avoid a dependency on a non-standard cue file manipulation utility.

Anyway, you won't know if you're ripping correctly w/o verifying
through a rip -> flac -> cdimage -> burn cycle, and verifying you get
exactly the same disk back that you started with.  Note you also have
to account for the sample offset for your particular hardware for this
to work properly.  IIRC, I used the Windows ripper "EAC" to verify
re-created disks via checksums and to determine the sample offsets
required by my particular drives, but I generally ripped everything on
Linux with abcde.

So...just fire up abcde and see if you can properly clone a CD and rip
tracks from the resulting FLAC file (instead of the physical CD
device).  If so, you're all set, if not, report back and we'll get
things sorted out.

--
Charles Steinkuehler
charles at steinkuehler.net