[Abcde-users] Exact CD copy stored in multiple FLAC files

Wolfgang Jeltsch wolfgang at cs.ioc.ee
Fri Sep 18 08:45:18 BST 2015

Am Donnerstag, den 17.09.2015, 18:47 -0500 schrieb Charles Steinkuehler:
> I had several changes I made to abcde in the Debian BTS, and it was a
> _long_ time ago (maybe around Sarge time-frame?).
>
> IIRC, the big changes were related to properly handling some corner
> cases on disks with lead-in or lead-out, so the -1 would _really_ rip
> the whole disk (including 'hidden' tracks) and not just the standard
> TOC track list.  I believe these changes have long since been
> integrated into abcde.

I would expect so, since Debian sarge was around about 10 years ago,
right?

> Anyway, you won't know if you're ripping correctly w/o verifying
> through a rip -> flac -> cdimage -> burn cycle, and verifying you get
> exactly the same disk back that you started with.  Note you also have
> to account for the sample offset for your particular hardware for this
> to work properly.  IIRC, I used the Windows ripper "EAC" to verify
> re-created disks via checksums and to determine the sample offsets
> required by my particular drives, but I generally ripped everything on
> Linux with abcde.

What tool running under Linux is recommended for determining the sample
offset of my drive?

And is it possible to tell abcde the sample offset for it to
automatically take it into account when determining the start (and maybe
also the end) of the disk?

All the best,
Wolfgang