[Abcde-users] Exact CD copy stored in multiple FLAC files

Charles Steinkuehler charles at steinkuehler.net
Fri Sep 18 12:24:22 BST 2015

On 9/18/2015 2:45 AM, Wolfgang Jeltsch wrote:
> Am Donnerstag, den 17.09.2015, 18:47 -0500 schrieb Charles Steinkuehler:
>> I had several changes I made to abcde in the Debian BTS, and it was a
>> _long_ time ago (maybe around Sarge time-frame?).
>>
>> IIRC, the big changes were related to properly handling some corner
>> cases on disks with lead-in or lead-out, so the -1 would _really_ rip
>> the whole disk (including 'hidden' tracks) and not just the standard
>> TOC track list.  I believe these changes have long since been
>> integrated into abcde.
>
> I would expect so, since Debian sarge was around about 10 years ago,
> right?

Gotta love the internet, nothing gets lost.  Here's the work I did
back around 2006:

abcde -1 doesn't make complete disk image:

Support for TOC file generation:

Debian abcde BTS page:
https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?dist=unstable;package=abcde

>> Anyway, you won't know if you're ripping correctly w/o verifying
>> through a rip -> flac -> cdimage -> burn cycle, and verifying you get
>> exactly the same disk back that you started with.  Note you also have
>> to account for the sample offset for your particular hardware for this
>> to work properly.  IIRC, I used the Windows ripper "EAC" to verify
>> re-created disks via checksums and to determine the sample offsets
>> required by my particular drives, but I generally ripped everything on
>> Linux with abcde.
>
> What tool running under Linux is recommended for determining the sample
> offset of my drive?

These days, I think you can just use a table of drive settings:

http://www.accuraterip.com/driveoffsets.htm

> And is it possible to tell abcde the sample offset for it to
> automatically take it into account when determining the start (and maybe
> also the end) of the disk?

That's a function of the tool you use to rip.  cdparanoia supports a
sample offset with -O.

There might also be some Linux ripping tools that work with the
accuraterip database (or something similar) by now, I haven't checked
in a while.

--
Charles Steinkuehler
charles at steinkuehler.net