[Abcde-users] Unknown Artist but release found on MusicBrainz

Ed Oehler edoehler1 at gmail.com
Fri Feb 12 04:59:19 GMT 2016

First, I hope this is the right place to post this question.
Second, I'm a noob who is very willing to learn.

I am using abcde on my raspberry pi with a high degree of success, but I
have run into a problem where after the tracks are read, I get the message,
"Unknown Artist / Unknown Album"

pi at raspberrypi ~ $ sudo abcde -c .abcdeFLAC.conf
Executing customizable pre-read function... done.
Getting CD track info... Querying the CD for audio tracks...
Grabbing entire CD - tracks: 01 02 03 04 05 06 07 08 09 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
---- Unknown Artist / Unknown Album ----

The config file referenced above has:  CDDBMETHOD=musicbrainz

The very puzzling part of this is that I queried MusicBrainz manually and
found that this CD (Disc ID =  vIPeNW1Q9U7ZBRl2SY3sIZvt.G8-) is most
definitely on MusicBrainz.

As I said, for the vast majority of my CD's, abcde rips them beautifully,
finding the appropriate MusicBrainz data and encoding to my hard drive as
FLAC.  So I'm very confused on why this particular CD (and a few others
like it) are posing a problem.

Any ideas?

By the way, I know I can manually type in the folder structure
(Artist/Album) and name each track manually.  But even when I do that, my
subsequent minidlna rescan picks this up as 'Unknown', and I *suspect* the
underlying connection is the incorrectly ripped/encoded CD.  Hence my
reason for wanting to solve this the 'right' way.

Thank you.