[Abcde-users] Unknown Artist but release found on MusicBrainz

Alan W. Kerr awkerr at aoc.nrao.edu
Sat Feb 20 20:46:56 GMT 2016

We've been emailing just each other...  so I've added the abcde list so
that others can see what's going on and... from here on, you'll need
help from someone else.  The problem seems to be in
abcde-musicbrainz-tool which is written in perl (and I don't know perl)
but I can "follow the logic".

My suggestion of using "-V -V" did help.
It shows that abcde is working normally, in your situation.
Specifically, it is failing at line 99 of abcde-musicbrainz-tool:

=====
Can't call method "date" on an undefined value at
/usr/local/bin/abcde-musicbrainz-tool line 99.
=====

So, what seems to be happening is this:
1) abcde is running normally
2) abcde calls abcde-musicbrainz-tool
3) abcde-musicbrainz-tool DOES find a matching ID but fails at line 99
and bails, RETURNING NOTHING USEFUL.
4) abcde sees "nothing useful" and assumes that "no match was found" and
continues with a "blank template".

Now, the reason that I believe that it finds an ID, is that "the logic"
shows that it should have output "other errors" or failed at a different
place.

The error/bail happens in a block that looks like:
if
   stuff
elseif
   "HERE"
elseif
   stuff
else
   stuff
end

in a statement in the "HERE" block.  So, lines 98-101 are:

	my @events = @{$release->release_event_list()->events()};
	my $rel_year =  substr($events[0]->date(),0,4);

         $releasenum++;

and the problem seems to be the "date()" command.  Which might also
explain why this happens infrequently...  you probably have few CD that
put you in the "HERE" block.

SO!  Finally...  to the programmers/maintainers of this:

1) is there an error here?  can someone please fix it?
2) if there is NOT an error (the problem is in the musicbrainz
database), then can someone add some perl logic to gracefully skip this
error and continue?

So, Ed, that's the best *I* can do.   But hopefully, this gives the
"perl people" enough info that the problem can be fixed quickly/easily.

Good luck.

Alan W. Kerr          awkerr at aoc.nrao.edu          Whee!(tm)