[Abcde-users] Very slow ripping query

Teika Kazura teika at gmx.com
Sun Jan 29 05:49:20 GMT 2017

Larry Gagnon wrote:
> I am just now attempting to rip an audio CD but getting horrendously slow
> ripping speeds and it's taking well over 30 minutes to do one audio CD. I
> have tried increasing speed with -S but that makes no difference.

Many experience similar symtomps. Try dagrab instead of cdparanoia / libcdio-paranoia.

In fact, dagrab is very old and the website is lost: http://vertigo.fme.vutbr.cz/~stibor/dagrab.html (You can see it by wayback.) Fortunetely it's still provided by Gentoo Linux. You can download the source from:
  http://distfiles.gentoo.org/distfiles/dagrab-S0.513.tgz .
Be sure to pick up necessary patches from Gentoo, too:
  https://gitweb.gentoo.org/repo/gentoo.git/tree/media-sound/dagrab/files

I believe it compiles smoothly, but if you need some help, ask at Arch's forum. Arch users are very kind and skilled enough.

In my case with
$ dagrab -n 120
ripping ends in about 4 min. (Except encoding.)

Regards,
Teika (Teika kazura)