[Abcde-users] AccurateRip support

John Lane abcde at jelmail.com
Tue Jul 4 16:12:37 BST 2017

I wondered if there was any interest in using accuraterip from within
abcde ?

I've been playing around with this and have successfully verified rips
made with abcde. The key to this is selecting a correct sector offset[1]
prior to ripping (if only I'd known about that prior to ripping a couple
of hundred discs!)

There's another tool called Whipper[2] which does some drive offset
calibration before ripping and then reports accuraterip verifications
(Whipper is itself a fork of another tool called morituri[3]).

You don't need to do this, however, if you can identify your drive and
look it up in the list[4] maintained by activerip (using "cdparanoia -A"
is one way to identify your drive).

I can apply the required offset to abcde by setting `CDPARANOIAOPTS` to
include `--sample-offset` which allows my abcde rips to be verified with
activerip.

I rip to single-album flac+cue (I also have settings in ~/.abcde.conf):

    $ abcde -1 -o flac -a default,cue

Then rip that into flac/ogg/mp3

    $ abcde -d path/to/album.flac

Then I can verify the flac tracks with accuraterip. This uses a tool
called `arverify` from a package called cdrip-tools[5].

    $ arverify.py path/to/album/[0-9]*.flac

(the glob is to avoid including the the whole-album flac in the
activerip verify)

Note that the verify requires that all album tracks are available,
otherwise it will not match the activerip database.

I reckon it'd be quite easy to incorporate this into abcde so that it
performs an activerip verify after ripping all tracks of an album to
flac (possibly other lossless codecs too - I haven't tried). It could
store this report alongside the track files.

This would depend on 'arverify.py' and its dependency 'ckcdda` (both in
the package[5] being installed.

I should be able to find some time to implement this if there is interest.

It's also easy to split out the flacs from the whole album with
shnsplit[6] to quickly verify them and then delete them afterwards.

Thoughts / Suggestions / Comments welcome

John

[1]
https://web.archive.org/web/20121208005636/http://home.scarlet.be:80/spb2267/offsets/offsets.htm
[2] https://github.com/JoeLametta/whipper