[Abcde-users] Submitting data to CDDB/FreeDB

Steve McIntyre steve at einval.com
Fri Apr 19 16:08:14 BST 2019

On Fri, Apr 19, 2019 at 09:33:37AM -0400, Gabriel Rosenkoetter wrote:
>On 2019-04-19 07:36 EDT, Steve McIntyre wrote:
>> There is some vestigial code in abcde to send mail to freedb to allow
>> you to submit CD entries, but it's from before my time and I've never
>> played with it. freedb should be quite easy to work with like this. I
>> would *not* recommend doing the same with Musicbrainz, as they want
>> much more information for injecting CD data and we don't ask for all
>> that information. Instead, the code we have just transforms MB data to
>> look like cddb data.
>
>Cool, I'll try to take a look some time soon (next week? maybe?). (I
>remember what the MB stuff looks like, I thinkā€¦ :^>)
>
>Do you have an opinion on the MB approach discussed and then even
>provided as a patch in the thread that Christian referenced at the
>beginning of this conversation? That is:
>
>https://lists.einval.com/pipermail/abcde-users/2017-September/000244.html

Ah, sorry - lost track of that. :-/

>In short: "MB is weird, so let's just spit out a URL, do with it what
>you will."

Could be a good answer, yes. Let the user interact with MB
directly. I've not really got time to hack on this myself at the
moment due to other Debian commitments, but I'd be happy to review
stuff if you can play with it.

--
Steve McIntyre, Cambridge, UK.                                steve at einval.com
  Mature Sporty Personal