[Macchiato] Current UEFI firmware stack?

Jeremy Linton jeremy.linton at arm.com
Mon Apr 1 22:32:45 BST 2019

On 3/31/19 4:33 AM, Marcin Wojtas wrote:
> Hi Jeremy,
>
> I think you can safely use the mainline branches:
> https://github.com/ARM-software/arm-trusted-firmware/commits/master
> https://github.com/tianocore/edk2/commits/master
> https://github.com/tianocore/edk2-platforms/commits/master
> https://github.com/MarvellEmbeddedProcessors/mv-ddr-marvell/tree/mv_ddr-armada-atf-mainline
> https://github.com/MarvellEmbeddedProcessors/binaries-marvell/tree/binaries-marvell-armada-18.12
>
> I built the latter from the top of today's branches, and my
> MacchiatoBin works properly with all peripherals. Here's the log:
> https://pastebin.com/b2a0r7Kw
>
> Please try above and share your log, so that we can figure out, what is wrong.

Well, as crazy as this sounds, I started some basic debugging of this error:

add-symbol-file
/home/jlinton/marvell/Build/Armada80x0McBin-AARCH64/DEBUG_GCC5/AARCH64/Silicon/Marvell/Drivers/BoardDesc/MvBoardDescDxe/DEBUG/BoardDescDxe.dll
0xBF800000
Error: Image at 000BF7FF000 start failed: Invalid Parameter

by changing he PcdDebugPrintErrorLevel to 0x80000008F and sprinkling
some prints around MvBoardDescEntryPoint() and now it boots to grub
using a sata disk.

The MvBoardDescDxe starts ok, and I don't see any apparent difference in
the output when all the dispatch log messages are removed. Also, as a
FYI, that pastebin I previously posted had an older SCP binary in it,
but that itself didn't make any difference either.

So, now i'm debugging booting 5.0/fedora again. There has been some kind
of "race" in the sata/sd/xenon probe logic for a while. Periodically it
hangs doing a sata reset during the normal boot flow (others have
reported this as well and I've seen it on/off). If the machine is
rd.break=pre-udev and those three drivers are modprobed by hand, it's
been booting pretty consistently. Before spending to much time on it I
decided to get the most bleeding edge firmware I could find. Now this
version seems to be hanging probing PCIe. I saw there was a dtb patch
recently for pcie reset.. Although, I also flipped it to ACPI, which i'm
more motivated to debug, but that is hanging really early and 'earlycon'
by itself doesn't appear to be working.