[Abcde-users] /usr/bin/abcde Contains "-if" and Confuses Color Highlighting

Roger rogerx.oss at gmail.com
Sat May 4 00:19:39 BST 2013

> On Sat, May 04, 2013 at 09:06:41AM +1000, andrew wrote:
>On Fri, May 03, 2013 at 10:25:35AM -0800, Roger wrote:
>
>> Also, I have yet to find any reference to "-if" and "-of" command
>> line options.  Matter of fact, I find little help or manual pages
>> concerning this utility.  I believe Lame is more commonly used,
>> especially nowadays!
>
>Like the commenter in this section I could not locate mp3enc to test.
>Looks like it was last developed in 1998 and is commercial software
>with a time limited demo released. Might be better to remove it rather
>than patch it...
>
>Aybody have a download link? Google did not help much.

Not much finding anything here either.  Might be a rip-off of Lame itself
knowing some closed sourced software.

However, the fix is so easy I'd just fix it, and slate/comment the mp3enc for
removal. (ie. Quoting "-if", will very likely cause further bugs vs. trying to
remove the mp3enc feature.)

But as I think on it a second time, should probably just remove it as there are
far better alternatives today such as lame?  (NOTE: I don't encode to MP3, so I
know next to nothing about this mp3enc.)  There's a 2007 post about how to
compile Lame for use within cygwin.  My guess, if a Lame or other popular
alternative is available within Cygwin, then might as well remove the mp3enc.

I also just realized, as to why people bravely talk about EAC rather than just
using Cygwin/cdparanoia/abcde is beyond me!

--
Roger
http://rogerx.freeshell.org/