[Abcde-users] running multiple abcde/cdparanoia in parallel - performance issues

Johannes Gernemann j.gernemann at gmx.net
Wed May 27 12:29:42 BST 2015

that's an impressive hardware setup you got there :-)

concerning the speed - what do you expect? As you are saying, you are using quite an "old PC". 1x CD speed is 150KB/s. Whatever your drives are capable of, they'll be sharing the total bandwidth of the busses. So does the harddisk. And you have to add read-from-CD time to write-to-HDD time. And then everything has to go through the CPU for encoding.
Theoretically you can rip as many in parallel as you want. Practically things will be happening more or less sequentially.

So how long does it actually take you to rip and encode (what format are you encoding?) let's say 4 CD's in parallel?

Johannes