[Abcde-users] Wrong track starts after splitting

Wolfgang Jeltsch wolfgang at cs.ioc.ee
Thu Jan 21 14:42:52 GMT 2016

Am Donnerstag, den 21.01.2016, 16:29 +0200 schrieb Wolfgang Jeltsch:
> Hi,
>
> I used abcde to rip a couple of CDs, turning each CD into a single FLAC
> file plus a cue sheet. Afterwards, I used abcde to split the FLAC files
> into one FLAC file per track.
>
> Unfortunately, I discovered that with some CDs, the track boundaries
> after splitting were obviously wrong. Tracks started to late, so that
> the very beginning of a track was still part of the previous file.
>
> In one case, even the beginning of the first track was missing. However,
> it was missing only in the FLAC file of this first track, not in the
> FLAC file of the whole CD.
>
> I looked into the *.cue file of this CD and found that it started like
> this:
>
>     PERFORMER "blah"
>     TITLE "blah"
>     FILE "blah.flac" WAVE
>       TRACK 01 AUDIO
>         INDEX 00 00:00:00
>         TITLE "blah 1"
>         INDEX 01 00:00:33
>       TRACK 02 AUDIO
>         TITLE "blah 2"
>         INDEX 01 00:35:45
>
> What I found suspicious was the line “INDEX 01 00:00:33” in the section
> for track 1. Why is this 33 there?
>
> Any help on how to fix this problem is greatly appreciated.
>
> All the best,
> Wolfgang

Hi again,

I have a suspicion.

The 33 is the track number where rips often begin. So I guess the
indexes in the cue sheet refer to the original CD, where track 1 would
then start at sector 33. However, the FLAC file does not contain the
first 33 sectors, so all indexes in the cue sheet are actually
33 sectors too large regarding the FLAC file.

Is there any easy way to fix this? I realize that just subtracting the
33 sectors from every index is not okay, since this would change the
CDDB disc ID, so that the correct CDDB entry would not be found when
splitting the FLAC file.

By the way, I am using version 2.5.4 of abcde.

All the best,
Wolfgang