[Abcde-users] need help with a gap of silence in a flac encoded file near the beginning of a piece

Bodnar, Jason jason at shakabuku.org
Wed Aug 9 19:30:21 BST 2023

I think the only encoder the abcde uses for flac is the flac command line
encoder. I'm not familiar with the command line options for it but you can
read about them here:

https://xiph.org/flac/documentation_tools_flac.html

In your .abcde.conf file there is a FLACOPTS setting. I imagine you can add
any flac-specific options there.

On Tue, Aug 8, 2023 at 8:33 AM Michael Hui <mmyhui at gmail.com> wrote:

> This gap of silence only occurs on the first cut of a specific CD, very
> close to the start. Other CDs don't do that on the first or any other cut.
> This problematic first cut where the gap occurs features only the cellos
> playing in unison, which I doubt is challenging for the encoding algorithm.
>
> I have tried to pass the quality flag to the encoder, but I don't know
> where to find the docs for the encoder since I don't know which encoder is
> being used. I thought it might be ffmpeg but I am not sure at all.
>
> Maybe the album artwork embedding process has messed it up? I can upload
> the wav and flac files for that first cut to Google Drive if there is
> interest in debugging it that way.
>
> Log attached.
>
> Command I used to run:
>
> abcde -o flac:"-q 0",wav -p -V -j 7 -B -k 1-2 |& tee abcde.log
>
> Version query:
>
> This is abcde v2.9.4-DEV.
>
> Thanks for your help.
> --